College /Career Center Services
Hours: 8:00-3:30, Monday – Friday
Contact: 720-561-5860, or email: [email protected]
The College/Career Center is a multi-purpose meeting/presentation room and computer lab, located in the middle of the Counseling Office, next to the Student Center. It is a resource where all students can research information about college and career planning, find out about activities they can be pursuing in high school, or listen to a variety of presentations from counselors and college/career representatives.
Over the course of the school year, over 200 college representatives come to the College/Career Center to give presentations to our students. Other representatives come from organizations that offer summer programs, “gap year” experiences, military recruitment, and volunteer opportunities. See College Rep Visits for more information.
The College/Career Center is also the site of ICAP (Individual Career and Academic Plan) presentations and assignments that are given to students throughout their years at Fairview. Students come to the Center with their teachers and classmates to hear our counselors present a series of lectures and assignments that give students the tools to find out more about their interests, personalities, higher education choices and possible career pathways. The ICAP program is a mandate from the Colorado Department of Education for all students in Colorado and the series of lessons for Fairview students has been designed by our counselors and teachers.
In addition, the Center offers individual assistance to students and families in all aspects of the self-discovery and college/career search including:
- Using and understanding the Naviance/Family Connection software system
- Learning more about the ICAP program
- Interest surveys
- Personality surveys
- Career clusters and pathways
- Volunteer and job opportunities
- Clubs and service organizations
- Academic competitions
- Study abroad and gap year programs
- Research on college majors and technical education
- Information about 3700 2-year and 4-year colleges
- Colleges and technical education search criteria
- College application procedures
- SAT and ACT testing information and strategies
- Financial aid and scholarships
The Center is staffed by trained volunteers who host the variety of activities that take place and also provide the research and maintenance for the Counseling Office and College/Career website.